July 30, 2011

sunset beach, part 2

FxCam_1311849162543

DSCF7214

DSCF7216

DSCF7229
(crab and I were both startled when I approached him on the beach, and he scurried under this rock before I could show him to my brother)

impending storm

myrtle beach skywheel

DSCF7245

the ladies

meeting of the flock

the mirror maze

gull friend at sunrise

beth gives a talk?

it was so windy I couldn't keep my hand still
(a photo of the wind: one morning we got up early and biked to the east end of the island to watch the sunrise, only to get there and discover that the winds were easily 30-40 mph, blowing so hard I literally could not bike against them. the attempt to photograph my brother's bike ended up only in blurs, because I couldn't hold my hand still.)

feathered
(my sister and I got featherlocks, please pardon my stupid expression)

FxCam_1311781988226

last sunrise at the beach
(our second attempt at watching the sunrise, on my final day at the beach, was much more successful than the first)

sunrise

sky vs land

good shell day

FxCam_1311803805879

I'm back in portland now. on my final day at the beach I awoke at 5, no longer able to sleep. my mom, my brother and I biked to the end of the island to watch the sun rise, and then, after dropping our bikes at the house, walked down to our spot on the beach and went for an early morning swim. with the exception of just two small breaks, I stayed on the beach that day from 6 AM until 2:30 in the afternoon, desperate to squeeze the last drop of every moment I had left.

my mom drove me to the wilmington airport, about an hour from the island. I had showered but on my skin was the chalky residue of sunscreen, and my hair blew curly in the air from the open window. when I reached the airport we hugged and, as always, my mother had tears in her eyes. how do I keep doing this? I wonder. I said some insipid thing like I'll see you at christmas or you should come out for thanksgiving! but it felt trite and false. I loaded up my huge backpack and walked through the airport door with a wave. after I had checked in, I walked briefly back outside to savor for one last instant that weather I so love.

inside the airport, I cried until the plane began boarding.

I feel too old for homesickness, yet here it is, seemingly worse than ever. back in portland, the cloudy mornings give way to sun. scott sleeps next to me. the vegetables in the garden are enormous. but inside me there is a deep gash I don't know how to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment