September 10, 2011

I was wrong.

these are the ugliest tomatoes.

DSCF7312
DSCF7313
DSCF7314
DSCF7316
DSCF7315
DSCF7323
DSCF7322
DSCF7324
DSCF7325

I like them a lot. all full of crags and holes from where they've sprouted against the cages, or against each other; misshapen from where they've grown too fast; cracked from where they've ripened too much. these heirlooms, while more delicate, have a lot more character than the hybrids. they're crotchety, imperfect. a lot like us, I think.

just so you know, I can grow beauty pageant tomatoes too.
DSCF7326

DSCF7318

do you know something? this is the first time in my entire life I've ever truly had my heart broken. it makes me feel so much compassion for every person whose heart I, too, have mangled. rob, casey, aaron, jay. universe, please forgive me.

the mantra I've been trying to live by lately: everything that you experience from another human being is either love, or a call for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment