January 10, 2010

what lies ahead

hey! it's the new year! I am finally settling in to the 2010 the rest of you have had 10 days with already. it's pretty nice, I guess? I have to say, I really liked 2009. even if "twenty-ten" is easier to say than any year in the previous decade, I'm a little ambivalent about moving on. I've even considered holding off on a resolution until my birthday, which I consider my own personal new year. however, I want to ride the infectious wave of enthusiasm that goes hand-in-hand with january 1, so here is my small but mighty (and late) contribution to the vast tide of resolutions.

my motto this year: simplify.

yup. that's it. simplify. I know, it doesn't have quite the heft and ferocity of 'choose adventure.' but maybe this year I am after some kind of quiet grace. the truth is, my year of adventure was busy, and expensive. it was marvelous and messy and loud; it did not apologize for itself; it was unkempt. it has left behind a wake that I've spent the last ten days trying to set to rights. I am overwhelmed by the number of things in my life: material things; things to get done; things wearing me down. I would like to be lighter on this earth. less scattering, less mess, more focus.

say it with me. simplify.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[shhh, let me tell you a secret. I am not through with adventure, hooo boy, no. I am still going to choose it; after all, the idea of a year of adventures was to change the entire terrain of my life -- not just for one year, but forever. adventure, I have not abandoned you. I have retreated only for a moment; long enough to get my bearings, straighten my affairs, perhaps take a shower ... and then pounce.]

No comments:

Post a Comment