September 15, 2009

plum.

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

—William Carlos Williams

2.5

last night our principal trumpet brought me a big bag of Italian plums from his backyard. today I stood at the counter and ate three of them, one after the other. after washing them they were cool, & so small and sweet.

3

the firmest ones were picked out and thrown into the fruit bowl for snacks. the rest were destined for greatness.

4
5 or maybe 6
the end.

plum butter. the recipe is actually for powidla sliwkowe, a polish recipe for a sort of plum sauce/jam/butter/reduction. I considered throwing them into the crock pot and letting them do their thing overnight, but I wasn't sure how well it would work. next time that's what I'll do; they took nearly two hours to reduce on the stove. as the bubbled and popped I chopped up lettuce for salads, made a stir fry for upcoming at-work meals, and flipped through tack catalogs, circling all the stuff to put on my christmas list. when it was finished, I spooned a huge dollop onto a piece of toast and then stood eating it at the counter. it's delicious.


p.s. today is my mother's birthday. she is 48. she is my favorite person in life. happy birthday, mama.

1 comment:

  1. Just passing through and saw your post about the plums. One of my favorite memories from my childhood was riding my horse underneath the Italian plum tree (or Prune Plums, as my mother always called them), picking a bunch of them and eating them while I rode. Good times.

    ReplyDelete