December 14, 2008

snow

We don't really get snow in Portland. we've had snow twice since I moved here in 2005 -- a big change from Syracuse, NY, where I came from. I don't miss snow, except before Christmas, when it's so cozy and perfect. This year I have been thinking of it a lot, and hoping that when I go home to Maryland we will get some. In fact, I would go so far as to say I wanted snow for Christmas.

But I didn't want it today!

snowy sunday

Wouldn't it be lovely to sit on the couch and watch it come down? Because boy, it's coming down. It's windy and blowing in all directions, great big flakes hitting the window. But I can't just relax and enjoy it, because I have to go to work today, setting up our performance space for Handel's Messiah, which starts rehearsal tomorrow. Most other businesses would cancel work, because our city is not equipped for snow and driving is dangerous. Unfortunately, canceling this setup is probably not an option, since the stage extension has to be up in order to fit all the musicians. (Never mind the question of what we'll do for tomorrow's rehearsal, given that the storm watch lasts through tomorrow afternoon). Oh, snow. Why couldn't you have come yesterday? How I wish I could curl into a blanket nest with a cup of coffee and just enjoy you.

In the meantime, I'll say a collective prayer that all services for today and tomorrow will be canceled. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment